‘Basics’ is fashion-speak for pieces that form the foundation of your wardrobe – those simple separates with a flattering cut that make sense of everything else: any kind of denim, a black leather skirt, a white tee shirt, a chino pant, a tailored pencil skirt, a trench coat… you get the idea.
And a stripe top is like your basic’s ‘plus 1’.
They make the perfect couple. ‘Basic’ could go it alone, but it’s always so much better with ‘Stripe’.
Stripe tops would have to be the top of my repeat purchase list.
I actually have to have an internal dialogue with myself every time I’m considering the purchase of another stripe top, that goes something like this:
Me: Do you really need another stripe top?
Me: …but this one is cashmere, and I like how the stripes are a little bit wider.
Me: Good point
Me: Do you have this in medium?
There are just a couple of simple rules for finding (one of) the perfect stripe tops:
1. Pick one that has either white or off-white as the background – think more French, less Sesame Street.
2. Go for one that’s a little loose/oversized for that sexy-utilitarian vibe (I know, this is a wee-bit of an oxymoron, but work with me).
And now for my edit of the best…
1. A.P.C. top, $191.81
2. Topshop half sleeve breton stripe top, £20
3. Jac+Jack ‘Harvey’ cashmere sweater, $349
4. Armor Lux button shoulder breton knit top, £85
5. Saint Laurent Breton stripe fine-knit sweater, $760
6. Theory Sotiya stripe sweatshirt, $175
My stripe top obsession has recently expanded into a stripe dress obsession! One cannot have enough stripes in their wardrobe!
Agreed! I feel a stripe dress post in our future.